1 reply to this topic

#1 Bob Brennan

Bob Brennan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 January 2004 - 06:18 PM

Hello Coconut Grove,

My first visit to this site sugested that the Marine Stadulm be turned into an Anchorage and boat yard. A few years ago I probably would not have cared. I was introduced to the passion of rowing, yes rowing.

Hidden at the end of the Miami Marine Stadium sits The Miami Rowing Club. A place where people go before the sun comes up to work out on rowing machines and as the sun rises they row in the peace and tranquility of the small mile long bay that was made for hydroplane racing.

Any afternoon you can see young people running on the bridge to get in shape to participate with the other members of the Miami Rowing club Youth team.

Coach Francisco is the first Peruvian ever to compete in the Olympics in Rowing. Several of the other members have been to the Olympics. Monk Terry being one.

My oldest son decided to row, his first year five or six medals. I am a proud dad. the winner of the medal contest for the year Ray 15, second Kyle 14. Lots of very hard work produced one of the winningest teams in the Miami Area. Still goes un noticed.

A wonderful, healthy and enriching sport, being enjoyed by about one hundred of our local youth every day except sundays. Last year these young people won Five of the seven regatas that they participated in, including the Miami International Regata.

Hopefully the state championships will be here again soon.

This is a great sport and enjoyed by more than one hundred peiple every week.
No polution, no noise, except young people cheering.

Come and visit , but dont turn the best rowing area in the area into a boat yard, that pollutes.

That is my opinion

Bob Brennan cool.gif

#2 dinnerkeyadmin

dinnerkeyadmin

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 24 August 2004 - 09:08 AM

Bob,

As someone who rowed in and out for decades and always eschewed outboards, I have great respect for the art and the sport. I would hate to see the Marine Stadium become a dirty, crowded boatyard.

That said, I believe there are ways to accommodate everyone. The boatyard promised at Dinner Key is looking increasingly like rack storage for power boats. Sailors have fewer and fewer options for haul-out and repair in Miami. Meanwhile, there's a beautiful, but sadly neglected facility that could accommodate 800 moorings, a boatyard and various shoreside facilities.

If we were to put in, say, 600 moorings, leave a wide channel through the middle and a wide channel around the edge, we'd have space between the boats and space for rowing. After 20 years of defending the anchorage, I don't see myself as having suddenly morphed into a real-estate developer, but I have had to look at things from the perspective of the community-at-large in order for any of my arguments to hold water. The idea that a huge facility with great potential to serve the boating community in numerous ways and with equal potential to generate big bucks for the City should lie deteriorating, reserved for the exclusive use of rowers is probably not going to be a popular one.

If I were a member of the rowing club (which I may very well look into becoming), I'd take a leadership role as far as making the needs of the Club known and developing solutions that accommodate the overall community's needs without sacrificing what the rowers have come to enjoy.

The current state of the marine stadium may serve as a convenience, but it is really an affront to the Club and the citizens of Miami. I'm way behind the rowing club, but suggest that at some point, some developer's going to wake up and want to realize the stadium's potential. Arguments that neglect should be the continuing policy and that the entire basin should be reserved for rowing will not likely establish the rowing club as a credible player in any talks that the City may (if you're lucky) condescend to involve you in.

The Anchorage is still around not because everybody whined so much about how special their lifestyles were, but because it adopted a stance where it insisted that any changes made be based on a thorough study of stakeholder, taxpayer and environmental impacts and implemented through a course of due process and procedure. This idea seems to stymie Government for some reason.

If the rowing Club puts an intelligent plan for sharing and development in its back pocket, it may likely have the luxury of a long wait before it has to bring their ideas forward. Still, when the time comes, offering community-based solutions rather than ME ME ME strategies will likely ensure the Club's survival and prosperity.

Thanks for offering your views here at dinnerkey.com. I hope you'll accept my own comments in the most supportive and encouraging way.

Dave Bricker

Reply to this topic